Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway. Psalms 119:105

Friday, August 6, 2010

Picking up the pieces

David and his family just left to catch the plane to Colorado. I hugged Connor goodbye and his warm hug back and his whispered "I love you, Grandma" really warmed my heart. I am not ready to go back to sleep yet so I thought I would start my day with my current sentiments.

Tomorrow the memorial for Don at the Kingdom Hall at 2 will be a final end to this part of the ordeal. It will be filled with love extended by Don and I's many friends and our loving family. This ordeal has strengthened our family bonds.

My sweet daughter-in-law, Anne, has started a Memory Book for me. I am asking everyone who can to write a favorite memory of My Sweetie in the book. I will be bringing it to the memorial on Saturday. Please record a thought or two.

I have heard so many funny and heartfelt stories from people who have touched our lives. I hope you will take the time to tell me about them in his Memory Book. I also am heartened daily with the tender thoughts and comments on the Blog. That,too, will become a record to keep of our struggle and our triumph over tragedy. Your many cards tell me how much Don was loved.

I did go to my meeting last night. For the first time in years, I had no time to study ahead of time. I just went to absorb and absorb I did. Mom and Dad Burke allowed (or insisted) me to sit between them. They held my hand during the prayers. Don loved them both so much.

My voice and throat are scratchy from all the talking and crying during the last few days. I can just imagine Don saying: "Barb, don't you ever shut up!" One thing that I will not shut up about until the day I can no longer speak is declaring the Good News of the Kingdom (Matthew 24:14) I know that the Kingdom of God is the means by which God will undo the pangs of death. I know that the Kingdom is the God's means of bringing peace back to the earth....and important to me: The Kingdom is the means by which I will be able to hold Don in my arms once again. I want to shout it from the rooftops. I want people to know of my hope founded firmly on the Bible promises.

Well, I am getting sleepy again, so I am going to snatch a few more winks before daylight. It smells like a good day outside and I hope to use it to the full to cure my pain. I hope all of you will, too.

Love you all, Bab

6 comments:

  1. Donna/Alex TavoularisAugust 6, 2010 at 6:22 AM

    I have 2 funny memories of you guys as a couple that I've been thinking about for the past couple weeks.
    The first was when we went on that Bethel trip together when I was about 7 years old. We left early in the morning when it was still cold and dark. Bro Baty had turned the heat on and you were both taking turns adjusting it and he finally he told you to 'Stop, he was in the car he was taking care of it!' Then we got to the parking lot where we were meeting the bus and Bro Baty and Dad got out of the car. As soon as they did I spoke up and said "Now you can do whatever you want with the heat." Ooh - I remember how embarrassed Mom was that I said that, but I remember more how much you laughed :)
    My second memory is another that involves me being bad, but I firmly believe you and Bro Baty saved my life at one point. I was about 12 or 13 and stopped doing school but didn't tell my parents. Instead I would wait for Mom to leave for service and I'd watch TV and snack and do whatever I felt like. And then one day she made an unexpected stop back home right after the meeting for service. From the look on Mom's face I knew I had until the end of the service day, but that I probably wouldn't be around much longer than that. However, Mom tells me that she got back in the fuming and red and angry, told you and Bro Baty what had happened and you both burst out laughing and told her "Kids will be kids." Obviously I still paid for what I did, but Mom calmed down a lot and you helped grant me a reprieve :)
    I love both you and Bro Baty so much. I'm glad we were able to see you a couple springs ago when you were and that Nicholas had gotten to meet you both. I have many great memories in getneral of spending time with you both, out in service, playing with your toys in the basement, having dinner at your house. I feel a sadness the same as if my blood grandparent has died. In fact for the first time ever I cried at the song Keep Your Eyes on the Prize that Wednesday night. But I'm so happy that we have the hope that we KNOW we will see him again. I'm glad my boys will have the chance to make memories with him as well.
    I love you and think of you and pray for you daily. I hope you slept well. I wish I could be there tomorrow at the funeral. This is one of the very few times I wish I was still in MI. But since I can't please know that I will be thinking of you - and I'll be giving you a hug in October
    Love,
    Donna Tavoularis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Baty, What else can we say except We love you very much and we continue to keep you in our prayers!
    Love, Hugs and Kisses, Harvey, Amy, Caleb, Abbey, Maddie Rose, and Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron and Carol LardieAugust 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

    Dear Barb,
    Carol & I have a lot of fond memories of Don and yourself. We value you both as friends, and I know Jehovah does too. Can you imagine our joy in the Paradise as we welcome back our dead loved ones?? I get a little "weepy" just thinking about it.
    I will try to be there tomorrow at the K. Hall, have to work this weekend.
    One funny saying that I remember from Don, is this:
    "I have socks older than you." LOL.
    Be assured of our continued love and prayers for you and family.
    Take care of your self too,
    Love,
    Ron and Carol Lardie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you again my friend for letting us be part of your family. Last night, I laid in bed after the meeting thinking about see you at the meeting. How I wish I could help every heavy heart in the world realize that you proved Satan a liar and that the best place in the world to be is in Jehovah's house. Your example of throwing your burdens on Jehovah and allowing him to carry you thru difficult times is amazing. I have watched people through the years go through a difficult situation and isolate themselves and they never seem to recover. And you turned to your God and let him hold your hand and walk you through the pain. Your strength from Jehovah was evident last night. I will stand on any roof top at any time and shout with you.....(of course, Don would tell us to get down and that we are being ridiculous! LOL) Love you forever.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of area or state friends: The KH phone hook up number is: 586-477-4567 and the code is: 586774 or 586448 to call in and listen to the memorial service for Brother Baty. It starts tomorrow at 2PM, so call just before or right at 2PM. If this does not work for some reason, call 586-468-4747.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In reply to Jenny's comment about Don telling you to get down.....I'm sure he would say "They already think that we are crazy, we don't have to prove it." Just another one of his funny sayings to us on rainy or snowy days. Boy will I miss his humor. He may not have told us what we "WANTED" to hear, but he always told us what we "NEEDED" to hear, whether we liked it or not. That's another one of his qualities that I will miss. Love you Barb.....Lisa

    ReplyDelete