Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway. Psalms 119:105

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Courage

Don taught me many lessons since we were married almost 54 years ago. I was much less experienced than he was. He had a strong force in his family for years although he was only 19. He even insisted that I carry a purse "dear, you might need a kleenex or something else".

The lesson he has been teaching me is that you think of others even when you are dying. His concern for me and others was very touching.

He fell in love with me before I fell in love with him. I, a young 16 year old, was flattered. He was so respectful but I could see his passion. He won my heart with his tender ways. I am so glad because I have a treasure of sweet memories that I can replay over the years ahead. I dealt with his imperfections because his love and concern for others were much greater.

He was born to be a father. He was so excited to find out that he was to be a father. I wasn't so sure. I got used to the idea. After all, I was only 18. But his love and excitement helped me.

I was a worker bee so even though my nest became full quickly, he worked hard to feed and nourish us. God was always important to both of us. We never missed mass unless one of us was sick. Then the other took the brood to worship God.

I almost upset the applecart when I started studying the Bible. He knew much more about the Bible than me so he didn't object to that part. What he objected to was that I was learning some new things. His father had studied with Jehovah's Witnesses years ago and he had sat in on some of those studies. His father stopped the study when he learned some Bible doctrines that conflicted with what he had been taught. He was studying with Earl Lardie. Talk about planting seeds that grow later on. Don finally "ordered" me to quit the study. (I was a very submissive wife, having the example of my mother and father. My parents were old enough to be my grandparents. Dad's word was Mom's command.)

When Don ordered me to quit the study, I didn't get mad although I did something that I had never done before: I respectfully told Don that I had never gone against his wishes or told him NO before but now I had to. I told him I had found something wonderful and I couldn't stop learning what the Bible says. He was taken aback. He got a shocked look on his face. He stammered: OK but be careful.

The rest is history. He studied himself to try to prove Darlene and Bert Nicke wrong but finally admitted that what they taught was what the Bible taught. And what a force it has been in our lives!!! We were swimming upstream, as it were, but we were given the strength to do it.

I will miss My Sweetie but then... so will so many others. I know that Jehovah will give me the strength to keep serving and obeying him. I look forward to holding Don again in the Paradise New World on earth even if we are no longer married. I am used to sharing him with others. He truly has been a "Gift in Men"

On a personal note, I slept fairly well last night. I dread the viewing today. I dread seeing him in his casket. I dread seeing other people's pain. But I will be comforted to see the love that family and friends had for him. I will be comforted by loving arms. Most of all Jehovah will have my right hand (I

I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

8 comments:

  1. My dear friend, We went in the ministry today(puffy eyed and all), thinking of you both all the while. Your blog was beautiful today and you need not worry about any of us, we love you both so much there isn't anything anyone of us wouldn't do for you. Thank YOU for letting us be part of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Barbara:

    Thank you so much for sharing your sentiments about your husband with us. I enjoyed reading it. You have many wonderful and treasured memories of Don packed away in your mind, that you can now fall back on and reminisce either to others, or just meditate to yourself while having quiet time. No one will ever be able to take away what you have hold in your heart about you and Don. The two of you lived a wonderful and precious life together, and that is something worth remembering forever. It's priceless and better than a jewel glistening in the sunlight. How precious can that be!

    I know it's going to pain you and your family to see Don as you clearly described in your message, when you go to see him in the Funeral Home today. But I am very glad that along with your family, you will have others to hold on, and give you the comfort and support you need. Most importantly; you will have Jehovah standing on one side, and the Angels standing on the other side of you, protecting and giving you the strength you need to get through these few days. You'll do fine Barb. I have the utmost confidence in you that you will, because of the faith you have and the hope of seeing Don again in the Resurrection when this World will restore back to it's original purpose: "PARADISE". Just remember; that what you will see today, will be Don sleeping! And remember; his alarm clock has already been set for Jehovah and his Son to wake him up. So; the clock is ticking Barbara, he is sleeping temporarily, and we can liken this to when we turn in for the night, and wind up our clocks to wake up in the morning. But instead of Don's clock ringing, or hearing the sound of music in the morning, he will hear the sound of Jesus calling out to him, to tell him that it's now time to wake up and get ready to see you and his family again.

    I'm into parties and celebrations Barbara. I think you have always known me to have that personality. So; when Don wakes up, there will be a grand celebration of his return. So; begin blowing up your party balloons, and think of the kind of cake you would like to make for him, and his favorite meal he enjoyed, and begin your plans for the wonderful party you will host for him. Because it won't be long before we all will see him again. I look forward to attending your party! :) A Scripture that brings to mind about a celebration of our loved ones returning to us is in Isaiah 25:6-8 & Isaiah 26:19

    Tom and I plan to see and visit you and your family this Weekend.

    Take care, see you soon,
    Much Love, your family and friend in Jehovah;
    Mary Ellen Nicke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Sis. Baty,

    Satbir and I were discussing your post and agree wholeheartedly that you and Don will forever be our inspiration as a married couple. No greater example of unselfish love, respect, honesty and submission will be found in our day. We hope and pray to follow your example as we grow older. Don's impression on the young is equally impressive. In fact, Chris and Cam are discussing their "plans" to help you in the garden. The comment "Remember when Bro. Baty said..." is often heard.

    We all look forward to the day when we will see our dear brother and friend again. But for now, may our shared memories and the strength we receive from Jehovah's promises and holy spirit carry us through to that day.

    As Jenny said, don't worry about us. We are here for you, Barb. No matter what, no matter when. We love you both so much.

    With all our love and continued prayers,
    Satbir, Jennifer, Kaitlin, Chris and Cam

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kids asked that I add this: the night we had dinner together was "the best night ever." :)

    Love,
    Kaitlin, Chris and Cam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron and Carol LardieAugust 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

    Barbara,
    I have to go to work today, but will stop by to visit at the funeral home.
    It's just the right thing to do.
    For Don Jr.-what a great way to pay tribute to your Dad! We have enjoyed the blog very much. We knew too many visitors is not good. So, we have very much enjoyed keeping in touch with news this way. Your dad was a fine example for me (and for you) as a husband, father, servant of God.
    We will see Dad in Paradise along with MY dad and uncles, 2 of which also passed away this year. The last of my dad's brothers.
    Take care, we love you all!
    Ron Lardie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul and I both wish we could be there in Michigan. But our thoughts and prayers continue with you Barbara and with the entire family.

    I empathize with your dread of what you must do today. I have also had similar feelings. You are so right - Jehovah WILL be there with you. He has also given you the gift of your spiritual familly and they will be with you too. Don't fear the grief and the pain you will see dear friend. It is really an expression of love and compassion for you and Don. Sharing this with others will draw you closer together in that united and unbreakable brotherhood of Jehovah's people.

    Thank you Barbara for sharing your personal thoughts and feelings. Although it probably isn't easy for you it truly helps me personally. I love you Barbara and will be thinking of you today.
    Laura (Wright)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sister Baty & Family,

    I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to visit with Brother Baty in his final days. It was a wonderful afternoon, reminiscing on fond memories when I was just a little girl. I will always have sharp in my mind the cherished remembrance of him picking me up and sitting me down on the literature counter while he did his work at the meetings. I will never forget all those years we spent at your home for the bookstudy, where I did a lot of my growing. And, I will always remmain as his little "Kelly-Bird" that he nicknamed me all these years. You both have a very special place in my heart and memory - you definitly gave a great measure of definition to my childhood as I look back even further on all the history we have.

    Just because Brother Baty has passed, I cannot find a way to stop loving him. He will always be entrenched in my heart, and I will allow the amazing strength that you have displayed and distributed to glaze my heart with protection from shedding too many tears, as I know we will see him again-VERY SOON in Jehovah's promised paradise, free from the disturbances we face on this side of the system.

    I always have and always will feel great affection for you both.

    Love,
    Kelly M. Nicke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larissa A. KakasenkoAugust 4, 2010 at 12:44 AM

    Grandma you are so STRONG and I will be trying to get some strength from you tomorrow when I say my speech about Papa. I loved him so much and always will. Tomorrow will be the BIGGEST challenge for us. But I know that we will get through it because we have a wonderful family.

    ~Larissa/Papa's Sweetheart

    ReplyDelete