Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway. Psalms 119:105

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Not Suffering

The family spent the day and night with my sweetie again. His heart is still beating strongly. His breathing is very labored and shallow with shorter periods of not breathing. He is being kept peaceful with medication but he is still twitching a lot. He gets clammy and someone is bathing him and powdering him often. We have all spoken with him...giving him permission to stop struggling. The Hospice nurse is coming out to see if she can ease him and the family to a conclusion soon.

It is so hard to watch someone you love struggling so hard. I am concerned for the other family members who have been sleeping 2 or 3 hours. Everyone is so tired and heartbroken. Don felt so bad that he would cause so many people so much pain. He knew what would happen. I told him it was the price of love. When we learn to love as Jehovah loves, it hurts so very bad. Even for the people who do not know Jehovah, the pain is intense. I appreciate all the prayers and tears that have been shed for me and Don. We are rich people to have such people like you holding us up and caring for us. Thank you for the depth of my heart.

It will be easier to bear when he passes and is finally sleeping in Jehovah's memory. He will yearn to see the work of his hands again and Jesus will resurrect him back to a Paradise earth. Any of you who have a different hope, I ask you to consider what the Bible teaches about the future of the earth and mankind. One of my favorite scriptures is John 5:28-30 where Jesus promised to perform a resurrection with Jehovah's power and direction. Another of my favorite scriptures is Revelation 21:3 and 4 where God promises to wipe out all tears and eliminate man's enemy Death. I yearn to hold my Sweetheart in my arms again when he will know me and desire to hold me back. At times like this, it isn't about sex or pleasure but about peace and love.

All my love,

Barbara

9 comments:

  1. Dana and i love you so much.YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS.LOVE&FRIENDSHIP&PEACE TO BOTH OF YOU.Dana&Anissa Leggett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sister Baty, We are aching and praying for you constantly. We so vividly remember those moments of watching for the next breath and almost holding your own as you wait for what seems an eternity. It is such a hard thing to reconcile as you hope for an end to his struggle, yet knowing yours is going to get harder. We pray for you incessantly. What a blessing to have the resurrection hope to support us as we face such unnatural and fierce an enemy as death. Love, Hugs, Kisses and sympathy,
    Harvey, Amy and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear Jehovah's spirit in your words and see it in your strength. I know Br. Baty worried more about you and the kids than he did himself, and that's part of what makes him so wonderful. There was never a sick person he knew that he didn't tend to with word or deed. He makes it easy for us to love him.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Barb,
    Mike and I love you both. It hurts to not be able to be there in person. Not that it would make a difference, but so that we could hug you. We know you will be fine, as is evident by the fine witness you are giving. We will miss Don and will be happy to see him again when he awakens. All our love and prayers. Mike and Chris Grauman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara I'm so sorry for the misery of the intense pain. One outcome of this terrible trial that I rejoice to see - is that you have consistantly relied on Jehovah as your refuge and stronghold. Jehovah's promises are real to you. Your faith is an example to those of us who love you and Don. You have encouraged us all to stay focused on our wonderful future - not to allow Satan's wicked world to steal our peace or our hope.

    I know that the beautiful and often scriptural sentiments left by your friends and family have been a great encouragement to you. But you dear friend have also been an encouragement to us not only in general life but also throughout your trial. Paul's heart was truly moved by both you and Don during our visit in June. He couldn't stop telling me how happy he was to have spent that afternoon with you both. He marveled at how loving you both were to each other and how positive your attitudes were in spite of Don's illness. I couldn't help but smile - and I told him "what you saw was the REAL Baty's - that IS Barbara and Don." What was in some ways a bittersweet visit - because of Don's illness - turned out to comfort and upbuild both Paul and myself.

    Through many years of my life - and accross thousands of miles - I have loved you both. And you have both been a precious and priceless force in my life. And I am not one bit surprised that in Don's final trial you and Don have given us a loving Christian example along with encouragement - always pointing us to Jehovah as our stronghold. I'm not surprised - but I am so very thankful.
    I love you both.
    Laura (Wright)

    ReplyDelete
  6. From: Franco & Jessica Battaglia ~

    Dear Sis. Baty,

    We know only too well what you are going thru. We just recently lost my mother-in-law to cancer at the end of March. It's clear how much we need the New System. I shared this scripture w/ Jessie's Mom near the end, and it encouraged her greatly. We hope it will do the same for you and Don. Ps. 9:9,10 states "And Jehovah will become a secure height for anyone crushed, a secure height in times of distress. And those knowing your name will trust in you, for you will certainly not leave those looking for you, O Jehovah."

    Our thoughts & prayers are with you in this distressing time.

    Christian Love,

    Franco & Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sister Baty, Mike & I are praying for you! Stay strong for Jehovah! You really are an inspiration to many of us. May Jehovah help you & the family to get through this hard time. Warm Christian Love, Mike & Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this tragic 11th hour, I would just like to go on record as one who felt Dad Baty might have been able to win another round of his brave fight with Respirator(oxygen) aid. His heart(lungs) are STILL fairly strong and he could've surprised everyone again(albeit temporarily).

    I know Dad's/Mom's/Sibling's wishes and I would never criticize their decision either. But, even our short life in this world is too precious a gift to give up sometimes. I've known Dad for 35+ years. I also know it's been done for others with some success.

    Looking ahead though, any Memorial service held for Dad @ the Kingdom Hall might be a mistake. He has touched so many as to fill potentially 5 Kingdom Halls(no exaggeration). Maybe alternatives should be considered now(with Elder assistance).

    Dad occupies a very large space in my heart/life/personality. Please consider this. It may not be too late. My Dad's Dad went through the same thing(I remember).

    Voice Crying in the Wilderness,

    Your Son in Jehovah/Jesus - Jakiw(Jack)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Barb and Family: This short comment is in addition to the one just posted. I sent it out without realizing I failed to sign it. Please give Don a tender kiss and hug from us.

    Much Love and Deep Affection Always,
    Geri Humphrey and Linda Gormong

    ReplyDelete