Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway. Psalms 119:105

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lights Back On

Well, the last two days have been quite a trip. A tornado touched down about a mile from me. A tree fell across the road just west of my driveway and a big branch from the neighbor's tree fell into the apron of my driveway. I was at my meeting so I missed all of the excitement. We heard the tornado siren, the lights flickered one time but the storm passed quickly and soon it was light out again.

By the time I arrived home, my neighbors had pulled the debris from my driveway so I was able to drive right on in. The electricity was out so the neighborhood was dark. My garage door wouldn't open so I parked between the two houses because that tree was still leaning over. As I got out of the car, Sister Sue Mundy from down the street came up my driveway with her dog and asked if I was OK. She told me about the excitement and asked if I needed help getting inside and getting a flashlight. I knew just where the flashlight was and had my key out. As I walked into the bedroom to get the flashlight, I thought: "Jehovah is still taking care of me."

I slept fitfully that night. The next day, Friday, was a blur. I know that I went for a walk. I caught up on my sleep. I read my paper, I read my Bible. I answered the corded landline phone. I went to the doctor's again because my glands on each side of my jaw were swollen and my salivary glands were like hard bunches of grapes. He put me on a strong antibiotic, saying that my immune system must be very weak.

I was told that the power should be on by 7 at night. Sister Pfropper kept in touch with me several times, offering to come and get me or get her guys to set up a generator. I declined because I was not afraid, just tired. Ben and Zack Pfropper and Jon Wyne came over around 8 and hooked up a generator so I did not lose my refrigerator contents. I was again so thankful to Jehovah. I now had a lamp but I went to bed almost right away. I was exhausted....must have been the trauma.

I woke up Saturday morning to darkness again. Brother Borgne came over and refilled the generator gas around 9 am. Again I saw Jehovah's loving hand through his people. I was thankful that the day was fairly cool. It was cool in the basement but with no lights, it would be difficult to stay down there. My lights came on at 9 that night while Jen was checking on me. I was exhausted when I went to bed. I guess trauma does exhaust one. I was thankful that it had not happened while Don was so sick.

Today I am getting ready to go go my Sunday meeting. My alarm was a welcome sound and I felt more able. My answering machine was blinking with two messages that I would have gotten Thursday night if the power had been on. I'm going to hop in the shower and get ready. Thank you for checking up on me. Barb

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sister Baty! I am glad your power is back on. Isn't it funny how little we think about it until we don't have it? When our power was out earlier this summer the kids would giggle every time they asked for something that required power because I'd just give them a silly look and tey'd know. We were so happy to be able to open the fridge again! Well, you keep resting and get well! Don't try to do too much. It takes time and rest to get well you know! Eat some chicken noodle soup and take it easy for a bit so you will be able to reach your goals next month. Much love toy ou from all of us and we'll see you soon!
    Love and hugs,
    The Kosinski's

    ReplyDelete