Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway. Psalms 119:105

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Don's Clothes

I was working on the front closet today. I saw Don's good Trench Coat that he wore to meetings and his Trench Coats that he wore out in service and his nice new woolen Overcoat for winter. I could not even touch them. I finished my closet, moving only some pull-on boots and several heavy winter coats downstairs. I guess this is a part of missing him and mourning but it is very difficult and puts a catch in my throat.

I have many suits of Don's because, being a public speaker and a regular publisher of the Good News in the Mount Clemens area, he dressed up a lot. He wore his clothes so well. He had three new suits that he bought last fall. I found one brother who wears the same size. He cannot possibly need all these suits, wonderful dress shirts, dress and casual pants and nice sweaters. Maybe I will wear some of his sweaters this winter around the house. Don was so careful with his clothes and his shoes that they are all in good shape. How do I empty his closet? I am not ready yet. I am not even ready to empty his dresser. Am I a chicken or what?

One of my Bible students is up from Georgia: Alison Chambers. Some of you know her. I am going to pick her up for the meeting tomorrow. Maybe we can spend some time together.

Signing Off,

Barb

2 comments:

  1. Some find it very comforting to have personal items from loved ones. Not just the sight but the smell from the fabric can stir precious memories. You keep Don's things until you're ready to pass them on. No need to feel like a chicken. You're simply not ready yet.

    Have a super nice visit with your student.:)
    Love you
    Laura (W)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister Baty, Take your time. THere's no hurry. No rush: leaving them put or moving them out, it really makes no difference in the grand scheme, does it? You need your time and you may just need his things. Betsy and I only just recently helped Dave Dugas move out Gails's things, and it's been nearly a year since she passed away. You'll know when the time is right, if it ever is. It's not a weak thing to hang on to thigs that were his. If you don't plan on filling up the space with anything else, well then, I don't think you'llf ind anyone who'll call youchicken for leaving things sit for a while. We all give you permission: Sit, Stay, Rest! There's always tomorrow, or next week, or next month...
    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete