Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway. Psalms 119:105

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Not Skipping About Yet

As I start another day, I think about all I have left. Don has left me with so many sweet memories and learning experiences. He touched so many lives but I was the one he touched the most. Being so young when we married, we kind of grew up together. So many of life's lessons were learned together. I must say that he had a sense of direction that I lacked. I was just starry eyed. He, on the other hand, was mature beyond his years due to his experiences at the oldest in the family.

I, of course, brought into the marriage a good work ethic. No traces of drone in me. I was very book learned but not very world learned. Having older parents, I grew up in a secure protected nest, seeing little conflict. I grew up to be a good student who felt I had a responsibility to use my intellect. I was very studious and a reader. My favorite pasttime was reading.

Don was my intellectual equal. I think he may have had an even higher IQ. There was never any conflict between our minds as we respected each others thoughts. He was prone to correct me when I made a misstep. Sometimes it aggravated me but I knew he was only looking out for me, wanting me not to offend or be rude to someone. I am glad I was humble and trainable.

I credit him with the person I am. My kindness came from my mother and father as I grew up with kindness. My religious need was implanted in me by both of my parents. I would not date Don unless he was a Catholic because I was serious about remaining a Catholic. I only changed when I found the Bible truths that conflicted. Again, I credit Don with looking at the Bible honestly. My life was changed forever because of his direction and self sacrificing nature.

I tried to be a good mother. I was a young mother. 18 years old and a baby who needed lots of care. Again, Don knew more about children than I,having 3 younger sisters, and guided me. He always went with me to the Doctor's appointment, both when I was pregnant and when the children went. He would come home from work, eat and then drive to the doctor's. He was much firmer with the children than I was. I would have been a pushover...doing for them all the time, as I saw the need. He counseled me to teach them to do for themselves. We became a true team with our children. He was better at talking with them while I worked unceasingly.

As to skipping about, I do have a slight spring in my step so the future looks tolerable ahead. My family and friends have been "sticking close". I have so much to live for that sometimes I feel guilty. Don is no longer here to enjoy life. I have much more support than some other widows. Widow is a strange thought. I had to put that information on a paper the other day. Seemed strange!!Rather barren.

Today I am accomplishing some more tasks surrounding paperwork. Maybe I will clean out a closet (mine). I am not ready to go into Don's closet yet.

Bye for now. Thank you for allowing me to sound off in memories.

Barb

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the memories! You two were a wonderful team. It was nice to read your thoughts.
    Love you
    Laura (W)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna/Alex TavoularisAugust 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM

    Through all of these posts you, and Bro Baty, are teaching me how to be a better wife and mother. Thank you so much for sharing your memories.
    Hope you are feeling better bronchitis wise!
    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to thank you again for such a beautiful day yesterday....We look forward to many more good times with you. Your stories and wisdom are priceless and I thank you for help me and the kids learn from you and Jehovah...love you friend...PS- Ben had a great time too!! And he fixed the scale :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom....
    You and Dad really worked as a team raising us....but you are selling yourself short...you gave Ann and I what every GREAT wife and mother needed for the future. You taught us to Love our husbands, even when we didn't like them very much, and also taught us to put others needs ahead of our own. Sometimes I do do more for my boys than I should, but that is the example you showed me... I would never be the women I am today without all your personal guidances and sacrifices. I loved Dad to Death, but I found you to be my 'STRONG TOWER' to mimick...I thank God daily that I was raised in such a loving household and guided in the ways of the Bible. Even though I have chosen not to be a Jehovah's Witness, please believe me when I say that I am the Godly women I am today because of watching your examples....
    Love you!!! Your Baby, Teresa (Teri/Tish)

    ReplyDelete